The town you see today grew up around a medieval castle, overlooking the river Towy from Notts Square on Castle Hill. The gatehouse still stands near the Old Town shopping area, the tourist information is nearby.
Castle House, castle museum & tourist information centre Open Mon – Sat 9:30 am - 4:30pm
Carmarthen. Entrance is free
The ruins of Carmarthen castle can be found overlooking the river Towy from Notts Square and along Castle Hill. Carmarthen castle was once one of the largest castles in Wales and was the centre of Norman government in medieval south and west Wales.
Originally built by the Normans during the 11th century, the castle endured a series of attacks during the 12th and 13th centuries resulting in significant reconstruction and the addition of defensive features including the stone curtain wall. It last saw action in 1642-45, after which it was partly demolished.
The remaining buildings continued to be used as a gaol. The gaol was rebuilt by John Nash in 1789-92 but in turn this was demolished in the 1930’s to make way for the present County Hall.