The River Teifi – Llanybydder to Cilgerran
The Teifi River is the longest river (75 miles) in Wales, it starts as a trickle at Teifi Pools in the remote Cambrian Mountains and finally enters the sea at Cardigan. Upstream from Llanybydder, close to its source, in contrast to many rivers the Teifi is a gentle meandering river, no rushing through rocky gorges and dramatic waterfalls, it saves that for downstream.
Llanybydder is notable for the horse markets held there on the last Thursday of each month. These attract dealers and buyers from all parts of the UK and Ireland. Of particular interest are the sales of local Welsh cobs. Downriver from here, the Teifi livens up.
At Llandysul, for many years Llandysul bridge has been an important crossing over the RiverTeifi.
In 1644, during the English Civil War, the Royalist army was defending Ceredigion against the Parliamentary army. One of the three arches of the bridge at Llandysul was pulled down by the Royalists to prevent the Parliamentarians crossing into Ceredigion. The bridge was later rebuilt with a single arch.
The Teifi Valley around Llandysul was the home of the Welsh woollen industry in the 19thcentury. There were plenty of fast-flowing streams to power machinery so many wool mills were established.
Green energy was pioneered in Llandysul, the Powerhouse a historic building in Pont Tyweli beside the River Teifi originally generated power from the river for the local community.
Today the grade 2 rapids below Llandysul bridge are home Llandysul Paddlers for white water kayaking, canoeing and rafting. There are attractive short walks along the river by the rapids and through the more sedate but no less scenic Llandysul town park.
After Llandysul, the river catches its breath for 3-4 miles before plunging headlong over the next set of falls at Henllan, a small village but with lots to see, including a steam railway.
The National Trust manage Henllan Falls where the Teifi tumbles picturesquely out of a rocky gorge and under the three-arched bridge.
Just before the bridge is a footpath down to a gate leading to the riverside footpath walk up river about 100 metres to Henllan falls where the river rushes through a rocky gorge between tree lined banks.
On downstream the river flows past Drefach Felindre, home to the National Woolen Museum, which gives an interesting insight to the area, and on to Newcastle Emlyn.
Newcastle Emlyn, is a busy market town which grew up around a crossing point over the River Teifi.
Here the River Teifi twists and turns and made an ideal defensive position for Newcastle Emlyn’s castle, first built on by the Normans.
The castle is set in a beautiful park set in a bend of the river Teifi. Today, although the castle is in ruins, the town is lively and has lots of shops, cafes and pubs.
Just over 2 miles downstream, the Teifi plunges over its most picturesque set of falls at Cenarth
The power of the water has been used by Mills at Cenarth since the 13th century and there is a 17th century water mill, which was still operating in the 1930’s.
The fast-flowing waters of Cenarth Falls are well known for the yearly spectacle of the salmon and sea trout leaping the falls during their migration (Salmon mainly in September and October, and sea trout between June and August).
Salmon fishermen still use coracles and nets locally and the coracle museum, open in season, is worth a visit.
Cenarth Bridge was built in 1787 by William Edwards. The bridge features circular holes that reduces the weight of the bridge without losing strength. Below the falls and bridge the river calms and there is a nice picnic site.
The next major settlement on the river is at Llecrhyd where the bridge marks the tidal limit. Below Llechryd the Teifi descends into Cardigan through the steep-sided Cilgerran Gorge.
The Mill holiday cottage is a luxury barn conversion.
The Byre holiday cottage is a single storey barn conversion.
Stallion Valley has been designed to be properly dog friendly, and has a wide range of dog friendly facilties.
Cwm March Farmhouse Cottages