36 Mins from our holiday cottages
19 Miles from our holiday cottages
Cardigan Castle Cardigan, Ceredigion
SA43 1JA (Sat Nav)
Tel: 01239 615131
Cardigan Castle dates back to the 12th-century as an important stronghold in the ancient Welsh Kingdom of Ceredigion.
Until recently Cardigan Castle in ruins but, after years of local campaigning, the castle is now being restored and brought back to life. It will be a centre for community, recreational and educational uses, for learning the Welsh language, culture and crafts, as well as for environmental and horticultural studies.
Cardigan Castle has a unique place in the culture of Wales; it was here that the National Eisteddfod was born, in 1176.
Like many important castles in Wales it was controlled by the king or queen of England until the 17th century, but the Welsh successfully took control of it on a number of occasions.
After the invasion of England in 1066, the Norman invaders built an earth and timber castle a mile downstream from the present castle in 1093 to control the narrows of the River Teifi just above its estuary. Like most of the other Norman castles in the area, it was destroyed by the Welsh in 1096.
he present castle site was occupied by a Norman lord, Gilbert FitzRichard de Clare in 1110 and the castle, despite many attempts by the Welsh to conquer it, stayed under Norman control until 1165.
In 1165, Rhys ap Gruffydd, the prince of Deheubarth (South-West Wales), captured many Norman castles, including Cardigan, which he demolished.
In 1171 he had become known as Lord Rhys. He moved his chief court to Cardigan and began to rebuild the castle in stone. This was the first time a castle was built in stone by a Welshman.
n 1176 the first National Eisteddfod was held in Cardigan Castle. Bards, with musicians and singers from all over Europe. This has become an annual tradition that continues to this day, throughout Wales and beyond.
The castle endured many years of turbulence being fought over by Welsh Normans and English, including the cavaliers and roundheads during the civil war.
In 1713, Thomas Brock, one of the castle owners, landscaped the site to make a bowling green. His heirs built a house on the site.
John Bowen acquired the site to build the present house, known as Castle Green House in about 1805–08.
The house has been home to four county high sheriffs and the Davies family who had a virtual monopoly on the port of Cardigan when Cardigan was Wales’s biggest seaport.
fter years of decay and neglect the castle was purchased by the local authority in 2003 and first steps were taken towards refurbishment of the site.
The Mill holiday cottage is a luxury barn conversion.
The Byre holiday cottage is a single storey barn conversion.
Stallion Valley has been designed to be properly dog friendly, and has a wide range of dog friendly facilties.
Cwm March Farmhouse Cottages