40 Mins from our holiday cottages
25 Miles from our holiday cottages
SY23 5DG (Sat Nav)
Llanrhystyd Church - Extract from a leaflet by Mr. Mathew M. Griffiths,
date unknown. Stored at Ceredigion Archives
The village church is dedicated to St. Rhystud, sometime Bishop of Carleon-on-Usk and an immigrant from Letavia, or Llydaw. (Llydaw was, until recently, thought to be Brittany in France, bur scholars have tended recently to place it much nearer, perhaps S.E. Wales.)
The present structure dates from 1852 and took the place of an earlier church, signs of which may still be seen in the West end, under the Belfry. This old door, with the step leading down to it, was only discovered in 1958 when some renovations were being made to the plaster work on the walls, and it was noticed that there were a number of holes to the right and left of it, probably to hold the joists of a "Rood loft". The lower part of the Belfry is thought to have been laid in the 14th century if not before.
The first reference that can be traced to an incumbent of the parish, is to a "Griffith Powell", who "on July 24th 1582 was a witness before the Court Leet at Aberystwyth". He had been "in 1544 appointed priest-in-charge of Llanrhystud at the yearly stipend of five pounds".
The Mill holiday cottage is a luxury barn conversion.
The Byre holiday cottage is a single storey barn conversion.
Stallion Valley has been designed to be properly dog friendly, and has a wide range of dog friendly facilties.
Cwm March Farmhouse Cottages