A Rainy Day Tour From Henllan, Carmarthenshire, West Wales
Approach Henllan from the A475. At Aberbanc, turn south on the B4334.
View location map of Henllan at List Wales.
2) The Teifi Valley Railway
As you enter Henllan village on the left hand side stop off at The Teifi Valley Railway www.teifivalleyrailway.com, post code SA44 5TD.
Here you will find a station tea room, gift & charity shops, crazy golf, quoits, children's play & picnic areas. Trains run hourly from 11.30 (price £6, ride all day) along a 1 mile track through woodland to Pontpenshitw Station.
View The Teifi Valley Railway website.
View details and location map of The Teifi Valley Railway at List Wales.
3) Diane Mathias Fine Art
Leaving The Teifi Valley Railway turn left and stop 100 metres or so on your right at Diane Mathias Fine Art www.dianemathias.com, SA44 5TD.
Diane is primarily a landscape artist, working in a variety of mediums; her work is inspired by "the divine majestic vistas of Wales". On sale are original paintings, prints and cards. The studio is open 11am - 6pm.
View Diane Mathias Fine Art website.
View details and location map of Diane Mathias Fine Art at List Wales.
4) The National Trust Henllan
Leaving Diane Mathias carry on along the B4334 about 400 metres and pull into the side of the road just before Henllan bridge over the Teifi River. On the near side just before the bridge is a footpath down to a gate leading to the riverside footpath, walk up river about 100 metres to Henllan falls, beautiful waterfalls, the river rushes through a rocky george between tree lined banks.
5) The National Wool Museum
Leaving the falls carry on A484 turn left and then within a few yards fork right onto the minor road to Drefach Felindre in about 0.5 of a mile just after entering the village you will see The National Wool Museum www.museumwales.co.uk, SA44 5UP on your left. As with all National Museums in Wales entry is free.
The museum is housed in the former Cambrian Mills, a water powered mill. It is a working textile mill and it takes you through the process from fleece to fabric with lots of interactive opportunities along the way. There are many fascinating insights into life in this mill town in years gone by.
There is a café, picnic area and shop; perhaps here is a good place for lunch.
View The National Wool Museum website.
View details and location map of The National Wool Museum at List Wales.
6) Moraith Glass and Cwmpengraig
Leaving The National Wool Museum turn right and drive about 200 metres through the village centre to the T junction. Turn right to Cwmpengraig and enjoy the scenic drive through the wooded valley. After about a mile and a half you will see the village of Cwmpengraig on the right below you. Shortly afterwards you will see a sign post for Moriath Glass www.moriathgalss.co.uk, SA44 5HY, along a farm track on your left.
Kiln formed glass, jewellery, dishes & sculpture. A gallery of sparkling colour in a lovely farmyard setting.
View Moraith Glass website.
View details and location map of Moraith Glass at List Wales.
7) Museum of Childhood
Leaving Moraith Glass turn left at the end of the farm track and drive a mile to a 5 way cross roads. Go straight on (2nd left) and drive 1.5 miles to a T junction with the A484. Turn left and drive 4 miles through the village of Llangeler and you will see Museum of Childhood www.toymuseumwales.co.uk, SA44 5EY, on your left. A trip down memory lane with 10,000 exhibits toys & games through the ages. Nature trail, tea room and gift shop.
View Museum of Childhood website.
View details and location map of Museum of Childhood at List Wales.
Leaving The Childhood Museum turn left on the A484 and in 0.5 miles turn right on to the B4334 back over the bridge and into Henllan.
Additional notes if starting from Stallion Valley
- Turn right out of the farm track up to the main road and then left towards Newcastle Emlyn. At the Horeb T junction (2 miles) go right and left across the stagered cross roads and continue into Penrhiwllan and turn left, just after the village shop, sign posted Henllan.
- After the Childhood Museum turn left and then 1st right onto the B4335 on follow the road along the river Teifi about a mile into Pentrecwrt. Turn left at the T juction and just afterwards turn right into DJ discount stores if you need any fruit, veg or other supplies for dinner.
- After DJ's turn right and carry on toards Llandysul at the bye pass roundabout go sttraight on then first left which takes you through Pontweli high street and on to Llandysul high street. Stop off at Goitre Farm Shop for some fresh local meat for dinner or sauasges for breakfast.
- At the end of Llandysul high street turn right down the short hill and left at the bottom onto the road back up the hill to Prengwyn and Stallion Valley.
View A day out from Henllan in a larger map
Copyright © Mick Baross November 2011.